Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Musical Challenge

This post deviates quite a bit from my usual ones. Rather than researching a topic, this time I'm asking you to do the work. ; )

Bach's Two-Part Invention #1, the first few bars.

As some of you probably know, the Urbana Pops Orchestra just announced that they're holding a composition contest. Anyone in the East-Central Illinois area can write and orchestrate a piece for them, based on the theme "Space: A Musical Frontier." The winning over-18 entry and the winning 18-and-under entry will be performed at the concert next summer.

I've been working hard on my composition, and as such have been thinking a lot more about musical theory lately. This is an idea I had a while back, and I realized that this blog would be a good format for it.

So here's my mini-composition challenge.

Come up with a short melody based on the following chords, preferably in 4/4 time, with one bar per chord. Then I'll fit them all together and post the results.

C F G C C F G G7 Am F G C

These chords aren't very interesting, but I figured a simple example would be best to start off. I-IV-V-I and variations thereof are used for all sorts of different pieces, same with replacing an I with a vi.

If you come up with a melody from these, for whatever instrument, post it in the comments below. It'll be interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

2 comments:

  1. I came back to this post hoping to see some contributions. Don't be shy, readers who also happen to be musicians! (And, Daniel, this may show us that readers prefer to comment on your work than to do the work themselves. But we'll see...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, three weeks and not a single contribution? Come on, people! I feel like I should offer some sort of reward for people who comment, but that would take too much effort. :P

    ReplyDelete