Wednesday, September 5, 2012

pןɹoʍ oןןǝɥ

Hello everyone!

I just started this blog, so I don't know what my typical posts are going to be like, but I plan to post about interesting things that I do and ideas that I have. Hopefully it will be interesting to read.

If you're wondering about the upside-down title, when I was really young I thought it was interesting to look at writing in different ways, and I taught myself to read and write upside down, mirrored, and reversed. Obviously given the limited alphabet of the English language it's difficult to type upside down, but the International Phonetic Alphabet includes several letters that resemble inverted versions of Roman lowercase letters. For example, the inverted v in the title represents the vowel in the word "cut", the inverted e or schwa is the short vowel in the first syllable of "about", and the inverted r is the English "r" sound (as opposed to a capital R for the French uvular trill, or a normal lowercase r for the Spanish and Italian alveolar trill). When I was trying to think of a good title for the blog, I had an IPA chart open in one of my browser tabs, and I noticed that the letter ʌ closely resembled an inverted v (although it's supposed to be a small A without a crossbar). I saw that several other letters could be "turned" like that, such as using u for n and ı (Turkish dotless i) for i, and I had the idea for the title.

(TL;DR: the title of the blog uses IPA letters to resemble inverted Latin letters.)

Anyway, as you can see, I can sometimes wall-of-text when writing about a topic, and I'll try not to do that too much. I do a lot of science, math, linguistics, and programming stuff, but hopefully my posts won't get too technical.

I hope you find my future writing to be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment